A Ledger maintains the details of every financial transaction associated with an account. The entries (postings) are made into the Ledger in debit and credit columns in chronological order. Individual ledgers are used to generate financial reports like Trial Balance, Profit and Loss, etc.
Giddh automatically creates individual ledgers for all the pre-created accounts and those created by the users. Some examples of individual accounts include cash, sales, purchase, reverse charge, etc. Below are the details of a Cash ledger:
For the chosen period (date range), the table gives details of the total number of transactions (including the number of debit and credit ones), the opening and closing balance, and the total amount of transactions.
First / Previous / Next / Last: These options are given just below the table. Use them to move to the required pages.
Open an Entry
Double-clicking on any entry on the Ledger opens its respective entry form. From here, you can click into the fields and buttons on the form to do the following:
- Edit Date, Particulars, Amount, Discount, and Tax
- Attach a file
- Provide More Details
- Add a description.
Note: Do remember to click on the Update button after making any changes to the form.
You can download the PDF copy of any invoice from the ledger to your computer. To download a copy, on the ledger page, click on the down arrow button. The PDF copy downloads to your computer. You can share it with others or keep it as a backup.
Delete Entries / Generate Invoices / Attach Files
By selecting entries in the Ledger, you can get access to more options like Delete, Generate Invoice, and Attach File. To select an entry, simply hover the cursor over its row and select the checkbox that appears at the start of its row.
Here are the details of the additional options:
- To delete one or more entries, select them (hover the cursor over each entry and select the checkboxes for each of them).
- Click on the Delete button that appears at the top right corner of the grid.
- A message asking for confirmation appears on screen. Choose ‘Yes’ to proceed with the deletion of the entries. The invoices associated with these entries also get deleted.
Generate invoice for entries
- To generate invoices for one or more entries, select them (hover the cursor over each posting and select the checkboxes for each of them).
- Click on the Generate Invoice button that appears at the top right corner of the grid.
- A popup window with the following options appears on screen:
- Generate Multiple: Choosing this option will generate individual invoices for each of the entries.
- Generate Compound: Choosing this option will generate a single invoice with multiple entries in it.
- A confirmation message will appear on screen. If the invoices were created for the entries earlier, you will see an error message here.
You can attach a supporting document to the entries by doing the following:
- To attach a file to one or more entries, select them (hover the cursor over each posting and select the checkboxes for each of them).
- Click on the Attach File button that appears at the top right corner of the grid.
- A popup window allowing you to select a file appears on screen. Choose a file and click on the Open button in the window.
- The files will be attached to the chosen entries.
Another way of attaching a file to entry is by double-clicking on the row of entry, and then using the Attach File option.
Set the date range to view the ledger entries of that time period. When you click on the date range, a dropdown with date range options appears on screen. These options include Last 1 day, Last 7 days, Last 30 days, Last six months and Last 1 year. You can even define a custom date range. If you choose the Custom Range option, then select the start date and the end date from the calendar for viewing the entries. The older date that you pick in the calendar will be considered the start date by the software.
Search / Reset Filter / Share / Export
Four options are available at the top right corner of the ledger all the time, whether you are viewing the searched for results or you have selected a few of the entries.
Here are the details of these features:
You can search by name of an account, or other content associated with it. Simply enter the keywords and then either press enter or click on the magnifier icon. The results are displayed in the ledger. All the other options work the same for the results.
The Reset Filter option works as the Advanced Filter for the ledger. Here are the steps to use it:
- Click on the Reset Filter button.
- An entry form as shown here appears on screen:
- Provide information for all or some of the following fields:
- Date Range: Click in the Select Range box and a calendar opens on screen. Choose a start date and an end date to define the date range.
- Merge Accounts: Click in the Select Account field and choose accounts from the list one by one. This way, you can see the results by temporarily merging the accounts.
- Merge Group: Click in the Select Group field and choose Groups from the list one by one. This way, you can see the results by temporarily merging the groups.
- Particulars (Include / Exclude): Set the Include or Exclude toggle switch (green means active) as per your requirement; then, click in the Select Accounts field; a list of existing accounts is displayed on screen; choose those which you want to include or exclude in the search.
- Voucher Type (Include / Exclude): Set the Include or Exclude toggle switch (green means active) as per your requirement; then, click in the Select Accounts field; a list of existing voucher types is displayed; choose those which you want to include or exclude in the search.
- Amount: Click in the Select Range field and choose a parameter from the options like Equals, Exclude, Less Than, Greater Than, etc. Then, enter the amount in the field.
- Show Cancelled Entries: Selecting this checkbox will show even those entries that have been cancelled by the admin.
- Other Details: If you want to, enter the details for Inventory (Include / Exclude), Check Details and Description.
- Search: Finally, click on the Search button to apply the filters chosen by you on this form.
You can share the ledger in many ways from Giddh. You can use two of the easiest ways by clicking on the Share button on the ledger page; an entry form opens on screen:
- Enter the email address of the recipient in the Share With field and click on the Share button. A confirmation message is displayed on screen. Or,
- Get a shareable link by clicking on the Get Shareable Link button and then copy the URL that appears on screen. Share this URL with anybody.
You can export a ledger by either downloading it to your computer or mailing it to somebody.
When you click on the export ledger icon, a popup window with options Download and Send Email appears on screen.
Here are their details:
To download the copy of the ledger entries (in the chosen date range), please enter the following information:
- Type: Select Detailed if you want to include information like opening balance, invoice no. etc in the ledger. If you want to get some brief information about the entries, simply select Mini.
- Export As: It is the format. Choose between PDF and Excel options.
- Order: It is date-wise Ascending (Oldest to Recent) or Descending (Recent to Oldest).
- Invoice No: This option shows up only if you have selected the Type as Detailed. Choosing Invoice No. will include the invoice details also in the downloaded copy.
- Download: Clicking this option will download the chosen format and details of the ledger entries to your device.
Using this option, you can send the ledger attached in an email to any recipient. Simply enter their email address and click on the Send Email button.